A Day Late and a Posting Short

It's Thursday. Posting day is Wednesday but I was invited to go and see the Archibald paintings at the Tweed Art Gallery at Murwillumbah.  Good company and good paintings. One of my favourites was the painting of  Cate Blanchet and her children, 'Mother'. It was meticulously intricate with colour and textures and methods of covering the painting surface that I would be interested to explore. The Coetzee portrait next to it also impressive.

There were a couple of paintings there so like photographs they might as well have been. I decided that in this day and age of excellent photography, I like paintings to be painterly.

Also of interest is the Seven Little Australians exhibition, by a painter whose name escapes me. The paintings seem quite old, ie done quite a long time ago, though no dates were on the cards. What made this display even more interesting were the artifacts purporting to have belonged to the characters in some of the paintings, on display in glass cases near the painting they referred to.

Srese Kerr is one and a half chapters from exploding into the world and I need to be there with my head every step of the remaining part of her journey towards the next instalment in her life.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrel: Callum's Passing

Mongrel: When 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

The Half Shaman in Space: Waking Again