In Thrall to Game of Thrones

Daenerys Stormborn with one of her newly hatched Dragons

In between writing these last couple of weeks I've been enthralled with, or more honestly, in thrall to Game of Thrones, the TV series on DVD. A smash hit by all accounts, and I can understand why. Ten hours of suspenseful story with a host of brilliantly acted characters of all ages. I'm sure it's possible for anyone to relate to someone in the story.

An adult fantasy series (of novels) A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (1996) is set in a medieval style world where winters and summers last longer than one year, and are of a variable pattern. If pattern is the right word.

Australians should be able to relate to the weather really well. We have variable weather. So does the Game of Thrones planet, but more so. The Stark family, one of the Houses, with the majority of viewpoint characters in Series One, has as their motto, "Winter is Coming".

This story has everything: action-packed politics, sword fighting, war, fighting, and everything that goes with them. Riding, horses, blacksmithing, practicing war-crafts, strategy, killing, hostage taking, etc

There's Romance. Yes, capitalised. Daeneris' romance with the Dothraki horse lord, a violent killer. Lord and Lady Stark of Winterfell. Sansa's (Stark) mistaken romantic feelings towards Joffrey the boy king-to-be, a Caligula in the making.

Animals as in ravens, horses and wolves and dragons. Ravens carry messages, no messager pigeons these. The wolves are direwolves, the sigil of the Stark House, all six children, including Jon Snow, the bastard, get a pup of the litter found in the first instalment. Horses are the main form of transport, wealth of the Dothraki.

Elements of fantasy treated as if real life. See the dragons, and the dire wolves.

Suspense - see the ice wall, The Wall, built to contain the Others, fearsome creatures out of legend and frightening stories. The Night's Watch is where Jon Snow will make his mark.

I first came across Game of Thrones (recently) on a blog I don't remember whose. I'm amazed I've never heard of it before. After spending a week watching the DVD's over and over, I had to return it to the shop. A waiting list prevented me taking it out again there and then.

I turned to the district library for the books. They too have a long waiting list. I'm reading Book One, Game of Thrones. Book Three is waiting for me. I'd really rather have Book Two first. The TV series is amazingly close to the original. The HBO (series is made for HBO) Game of Thrones website is a mine of interesting detail on the story, trailers for the next series etc etc  and I've been spending many hours there as well.

I told you, in thrall to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrel: Callum's Passing

Mongrel: When 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

The Half Shaman in Space: Waking Again