Gathering the Necessities ...

... to publish on Smashwords.com

I imagine much the same process as for other platforms.

Rita de Heer by C McNeill

1) Author bio and photo - see my About Me page. I'm particularly happy about this photo. A friend helped me after I took about 103 half and quarter shots the long-arm way. IE attempting to photograph yourself by holding the camera facing inward at the end of your arm.

2) The ISDN number - which I need if I want Smashwords to distribute my book to such publishers as Apple. When I googled "buy ISDN" an agency in Australia came up. I'm extrapolating that there will be agencies everywhere --Turkey, Russia, Indonesia -- wherever you live.

3) The "back cover" blurb for The Harrowing, as follows:

The Harrowing is a science fiction/fantasy meld, a tender love story from Seven Seas, a water planet. Most of the Nan are winged and roost on tall stone pillars rising from their sea. Only the brood-fathers return to the sea, there to raise the young.


Crash-landing, the aliens must gain a foothold. Their solution is Darwinian – the strongest beings will overcome the rest. When Fane, the greatest of the nanguy, fails to trap the invader, can Leery, nanny-guy and brood-father save all their people?

4) The "book cover" isn't quite ready yet, only because I'm being stubborn about using my purpose-made scissors-and-actual-paste collage as a background image. 

5) The formatted file of the story and its appendages -- title page, table of contents, author bio, where to contact author, sample of next read is sitting in a special folder on my desktop and also on a memory stick as well as still attached to the un-trashed email from the formatting service. 

Unopened. 

Dire warnings came in the accompanying email. Even just opening the file to see what it now looks like can cause the format to be "corrupted" or changed, and I believe it. My experience of that same magical process is with a photo editing program, Preview for Mac. A photo file might read as being 6 MB in size.

I open it, click on the resizing tool. The submenu comes up and is usually resizing the photo while I'm watching, without having had further instructions. Very frustrating. 

So. Therefore. I'm leaving my primary copy of the format uncorrupted and pristine for its date with the Smashwords' Meat Grinder.

Yes, they really call their in-house multiple-format software their Meat Grinder! That in itself is rather confronting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrel: Callum's Passing

Mongrel: When 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

The Half Shaman in Space: Waking Again