Biggest Thing in a Big Year, So Far

Excellent health has been my most unattainable precious attribute for about fifteen years now. Six years ago a doctor who shall remain nameless prescribed an anti acid for me to control stomach acid. Less stomach acid in its turn was to control the tendency of my stomach cycling through breakfast so fast that I'd be feeling shaky with a tendency towards fainting due to hunger, from about mid morning.

I remember asking why an anti acid and I remember being told "It's OK to do without the acid. We don't really need it." I accepted it. In those days I wasn't  paranoid yet. About seven months ago a young GP refused me the drug, quite correctly as it turned out, as the drug is not meant to be prescribed for longer than six weeks.

Which I learned from a different doctor. Also different in that he listens to his patients. The problems I have been having with my legs, facial muscles, nerve pain etc all point to nutrient deficiencies as a result of not much nutrient uptake in the stomach where it is meant to happen, and increased sensitivities to a host of foods. IE I had a cherry at a party last weekend and was nauseous for the rest of the day.

This all led to the doc suggesting I try the low-FODMAP diet. Hard word to remember, it is actually an acronym for Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides And Polyols. The way I pressed it into my brain was by making it into FOD(der) MAP, a map for eating fodder. Joking of course.

It's what I have been doing. Researching and downloading recipes. Off-loading my stores to people who can still eat beans, peas, lentils etc. Coming to grips with the changes. I can eat 12 fruits and 33 vegetables from the list. No dairy foods. I don't see eggs or carrots on the list, two of my favourites.

I will be infusing olive oil with garlic and throwing the garlic away. I will be baking bread with teff. Both these recipes and more from Fructose Free Me where I found the explanation and a swag of information. I will be digging under the carrots and soy beans growing in my garden, planting capsicum and lettuces instead.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrel: Callum's Passing

Mongrel: When 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

The Half Shaman in Space: Waking Again