My Walks: Sunrise over the Rec Grounds

Sunday, amazing myself, I got out of the house before sunrise!

Dawn sky with moon

Not even one step from the deck I almost flattened a Parasola impatiens. (This not that particular one, but one from a nearby planting site)




Around the corner on the grassed drive a Conocybe-like fruiting body. IE its cap is and stays cone shaped. Already it seemed like it was going to be one of those walks.

A bit like that Flemish folk tale about the woman who was given a magic intercession -- she would be doing the first thing she woke up to all day, she prepared to be measuring cloth, thinking to magically increase it.

She woke and sneezed. And sneezed. And sneezed. Sneezed all day and made the River Schelde. In the same way it turns out that I made a fungi walk. Though ... keep reading ... I did witness the sunrise.

Conocybe-like fruiting body with cinnamon gills. 
Next was a pair of what I decided just now studying the photo ever more carefully were probably a pair of Leucocoprinus sp. Various Leucocoprinus species are probably the most common fruiting bodies to be seen this summer. 

Leucocoprinus sp

Next were a squad of puffballs under a tuckaroo tree. Good to see. Puffballs most often can be seen along roads and beside tracks, in gravel and stones, where in towns they do not survive kids on bikes. These at least got to fruit and spread their spores to the four corners of the town. 

Scleroderma sp
At the moment that the sun rose above my horizon (4 or 5 kilometres inland from the ocean) I was handily checking the High School Carpark for fungi. The glory of sun and clouds distracted me from my bent emu walk. 
Sunrise over Rec Grounds, Mullumbimby

However in the car-park, under the Eucalyptus trees, I discovered my most important find of the walk ... a trio of mycorrhizal boletus-like fungi. Mycorrhizal, in that these fungi are in a symbiotic relationship with trees. 

For four years I'd never found a single fungus fruiting body in the garden beds surrounding this car-park, where nevertheless wood-chip mulch had been kept up to the plantings of native vegetation. Sunday morning I found half a dozen different species. 

Large mustard coloured cap and stem fungus on wood

Trio of delicate Polyporus arcularius

Cymatoderma elegans aka Vase Fungus

A Common (in this area) Jelly Fungus
I'm afraid the Boletus species wasn't very photogenic. My best shot was its pore surface: 

Boletus like, pore surface





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrel: Callum's Passing

Mongrel: When 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

The Half Shaman in Space: Waking Again