Embroideries: In the Beginning

In the Beginning, designed and embroidered by R de Heer
Story: In the beginning there was an area of cracks in a lava field. If you climbed the steel tower at the edge of the lava field all the way to the top, and looked across the lava, you would see the flames in the cracks and the smoke still venting from the most recent eruption. 

Notes: This scrap of fabric, a delicate velvet, didn't stand up well to being stretched in an embroidery hoop. Impossible to press out the creases. The wavy watery sculptural pattern made it a test to come up with an idea. I could've stayed with the water and waves, but I like to see if I can subvert a fabric's original pattern. 

Additional Materials: The embroidery floss is Exotic Lights, a 100% silk floss from Colour Streams. I like to work with a split thread, one of three in this yarn. The embroidery floss frequently got hung up in the velvet which I therefore suspect to have an artificial component. As a result, the stitching became loopy and not as neat as I would've liked. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrel: Callum's Passing

Mongrel: When 1 + 1 + 1 = 2

The Half Shaman in Space: Waking Again